Ansel T. Johnson - Optometrist/Clinical Director
The Founder and Clinical Director, Dr. Ansel Johnson is a 30+ year veteran in the eye care industry. He has been featured in several publications including Black Enterprise Magazine, where he is recognized as being among the top 101 leading Black Doctors in the United States. He represented as the only optometrist listed in this elite group. Dr. Johnson is a pillar of the Blue Island community who promotes positive leadership and a leader in primary health care.
Dr. Johnson received his bachelor's degree in Biology from Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, Illinois and his Doctor of Optometry degree from the New England College of Optometry in Boston, Massachusetts in 1985. He has served the eye care community through private practice, teaching, community partnerships, training programs, educational presentations, and even has completed research on behalf of the Glaucoma Research Foundation, California aiding with their national public education projects on Glaucoma.
Dr. Johnson serves on the Board of Directors for United Eye Care Providers as the Optometric Medical Director (www.UECP.com). He is a member of the National Optometric Association, Illinois Optometric Association and the American Optometric Association.
Dr. Johnson is the recipient of numerous distinguished awards and has served as member of distinguished boards, including the following:
- BERNIE MAC FOUNDATION FOR SARCODOSIS AWARENESS MEDICAL ADVISORY BOARD, 2016 – Present
- STAFF PRIVILEGES, ADVOCATE TRINITY HOSPITAL CHICAGO, 2004 - Present
- ALLERGAN PHARMACEUTICALS GLAUCOMA ADVISORY PANEL, 2014
- MEMBER OF AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF DIABETES EDUCATORS, 2004 - Present
- ONE OF AMERICA’S LEADING 101 AFRICAN AMERICAN DOCTORS Black Enterprise Magazine – May 2008 and August 2001 issues honoring America’s Leading African American Physicians
- SALUTE TO MEN OF COLOR RECOGNITION Joliet Junior College, Project Achieve – January 2000, 2001, 2003
- SPECIAL COMMUNITY RECOGNITION AWARD Ralph R. Turner Scholarship Foundation Governors State University, November 1999
- NATIONAL HEAD START ASSOCIATION Outstanding Achievement Award in Medicine, April 18, 1995
- HEAD START SUCCESS AND ROLE MODEL Recognized in White House Ceremony by President Clinton as a 1994.
- "ASK THE DOCTOR" segment as an eye care expert and glaucoma authority. Featured several times on WGNTV Channel 9
- OUTSTANDING ALUMNI AWARD - Illinois Wesleyan University 1994
- ALUMNI HALL OF FAME - Dwight D. Eisenhower H.S. - Blue Island
- OUTSTANDING CITIZENSHIP AWARD - Governors State University Ralph Turner Endowed Scholarship foundation 1993
- ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF PROFESSIONAL REGULATION BOARD OF OPTOMETRY 1999 to 2009
- ST. FRANCIS HOSPITAL ADVISORY BOARD 1995 -1999.
- BOARD MEMBER - Illinois Wesleyan Minority Alumni Network, 1992 to 2003